In France, mussels “façon marinière” with French fries are the more common, whereas the black pepper crab is one of the most famous dishes in Singapore.
Why not take a piece of each culture to create a fusion special dish by serving mussels with black pepper sauce in which you can dip your French fries?
Please enjoy this original recipe proposed by Ti Yan Academy and brillantly prepared by Chef Miclele Ow.
During this live session, as we also presented Macarons Figues and Foie Gras, the recipe explanations go:
- from 22:47 to 30:07, then
- from 31:00 38:08and
- from 39:02 41:42 and
- from 48:09 to 58:25
Black Pepper Mussels
- 25 g Butter
- 1 cloves of garlic (minced)
- 1 shallots (minced)
- 1-2 tbsp coarse pepper
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1/2 tsp black soya sauce
- Mussels (cleaned)
- 1/2 cup water
- Fresh coriander
- heat butter and fry garlic and shallots for 1 min
- add coarse pepper and fry for further 3 mins
- add mussels, oyster sauce, black sauce, sugar and water
- cover and turn on high until cooked, about 5 mins
- serve with coriander
- 2 potatoes (cut into thick strips, soaked in water to prevent oxidation)
- Vegteable oil
- Fill a saucepan with vegetable oil and heat up slowly to 200°C.
- Dry the cut potatoes well over paper towels then add them to the saucepan of oil. Fry about 5 to 7 mins until golden brown. Remove and set aside on paper towels and let them cool before the second fry.
- Make sure that the oil has heated up to 175C and do a second fry about 3 mins for extra crispy french fries.
- Drain on paper towels and add to a bowl, sprinkle salt and toss to mix.
- Serve hot
Did you enjoy this recipe? Find more shells / Seafood recipes with our Special Fish / SeaFood Express Formula.